Sunday 25 March 2018

So I'm 28 with Osteopenia

If you're a regular reader then you may be aware that I am a Coeliac and have had severe weight loss over the past year and a half. Coupled with a few other issues, I thought that things had started to settle down and I was not going to be hit with any more curve balls.


Silly me hey, after a routine X-ray I have been found to have Osteopenia. Which is basically the first stages of Osteoporosis, as a coeliac I am prone to it but with the sudden unexplained weight loss, it appears that I am one of the minority, thankfully not too the severity of actual Osteoporosis at this stage.

What is Osteopenia? Well, it is decreased bone density, but not to the extent of Osteoporosis as stated above, however, it does still come with the increased risk of bone fractures and breakages; as well as the weakening of the bones.

I am now awaiting an appointment for a Bone Density Scan which will determine what type of medication I will have to take, hopefully, it will reverse the damage and I will never get to the stage of Osteoporosis. Honestly, I should rattle with the number of tablets I am taking these days.

Whilst this isn't all that bad an outcome, it has thrown me a little. Having yet another thing wrong with me health wise is just wearing me down mentally, constantly trying to put my weight loss on the back of my mind. Trying to forget about the fact that my nails look incredibly gross and now this to top it all off is just another thing for me to process and try to manage.

Most of the time it is easy to put on a smile and pretend everything is a-okay with me, but days like this when I am thrown curve balls I find it hard to hold back the tears. Especially when I go home and am alone, yes I do have some family around me but to be honest, it isn't always easy to talk to them because I don't always want them to know how hard it is for me.

Always be kind, you never know what personal battle people are fighting.

Share:

2 comments

  1. I do understand. Sort of. My mother had osteoporosis. She was much older than you are, it started after an accident that almost killed her, but once she started healing, is when we discovered it. It is a slow heal, but, if you discover and learn to allow yourself to accept you to be yourself no matter what, you will be okay. When this happened to my mother, it was very difficult, even with more family than you have, but, give yourself a bit of time, You are truly Yourself and I know You will show it because You are that Brilliant!!!!❤❤❤������������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stephanie for your support. I hope your Mother is better and I am glad she had the support of you and your family to help her through it. I will certainly give myself time, I think it all takes time to adjust to change. We all get hit with down moments, it's all in how we pivk ourselves up I suppose. Thank you again for such kind words you are truly amazing! xxx

      Delete

© Romanovs Views | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig