Saturday 12 May 2018

Pretty Muddy Race for Life - Checking Yourself


If you want to show your support I would love it if you would sponsor Christie, she is running a few races for Cancer Research. More specifically for Breast Cancer, so it would be my honour if any sponsorship that anyone wants to make to me goes to her instead. Just head over to her page here.

This year I am running the Pretty Muddy Race for Cancer Research UK. Although I am not the fittest person in the world, I have started to go running occasionally with my dog Harley and am actually starting to enjoy it. Even though it wasn't an initial thought of mine to do the race, it was actually part of a Hen Party event I am happy to be involved.

I have to be honest I am one of the bad ones that didn't ever really do a self-check, it wasn't until I heard about Christie's story that I really started to make an effort to check. Obviously, I knew about it all prior to her post so I had been checking for a few weeks before the unfortunate happened.

Unfortunately last month I found a lump in one of my breasts, I am not one to worry or overthink things, so I just got myself down to the doctors and had them check it out. Due to my cycle, I was referred straight away to the breast clinic.

I was seen fairly quickly within a week and a half, at the time I couldn't talk because I had a major tooth infection so my Mum came with me. It was a strange feeling having to undress your top half and have some stranger fondle your breasts. Don't worry though you are hidden behind a curtain and in a private room, but it is an odd feeling.

Luckily the Dr. reassured me that everything felt normal, just like extra breast tissue, however, he did request an ultrasound just to be 100% sure. I don't think you realise how worried you actually are until you are in that room.

I didn't get seen for a further 2 weeks or so, but when I arrived I was seen straight away and again had to undress my top half and cover with a towel until the Dr. came in. She then asked me where the lump was and applied some jelly started to do a scan. For a few seconds, I was a little worried and she was concentrating on a certain area, but I really didn't need to be. She showed me what was on the screen and explained that what I was seeing was going right down to the lung and there was nothing there other than breast tissue. So she gave me the all clear and sent me on my way.

Thankfully I was lucky to be given a good prognosis, however, some people aren't so lucky. That is why you should never neglect to check yourself regularly and if you do find something do not presume it is breast tissue or a cyst. Get it checked out by a professional, it is better to be safe than sorry at the end of the day.

Always be kind, you never know what personal battle people are fighting.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Romanovs Views | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig