Tuesday 28 March 2017

Why I think Social Media is ruining our lives

Social Media has been around for a lot of years now and whilst I think it was originally created with the best intentions as all things are, it really isn't used like that these days. 

With the recent terrorists attack in London, it has taken the whole issue to a new level for me personally. I don't want to take away from the fact that it was a tragedy and my thoughts go out to all the family and loved ones of all those involved, but that does not excuse the behaviour of those towards this poor woman. 

To be fair, people tell me there's footage of her helping victims, so the fact she's been turned into a meme is unfair.

Here's my point about Social Media being a force of evil, the person that took the time to take a picture of this woman, just to speculate that she was somehow involved rather than a scared round woman calling her family or friends to let them know she was okay. 

I was happy to see from pretty52 that the woman in the photo above hit back with the below statement. 

"I'm shocked and totally dismayed at how a picture of me is being circulated on social media.
To those individuals who have interpreted and commented on what my thoughts were in that horrific and distressful moment, I would like to say not only have I been devastated by witnessing the aftermath of a shocking and numbing terror attack, I've also had to deal with the shock of finding my picture plastered all over social media by those who could not look beyond my attire, who draw conclusions based on hate and xenophobia.
My thoughts at that moment were one of sadness, fear, and concern.
What the image does not show is that I had talked to other witnesses to try and find out what was happening, to see if I could be of any help, even though enough people were at the scene tending to the victims.
I then decided to call my family to say that I was fine and was making my way home from work, assisting a lady along the way by helping her get to Waterloo station.
My thoughts go out to all the victims and their families. I would like to thank Jamie Lorriman, the photographer who took the picture, for speaking to the media in my defence."

My point here is that people are so nasty and vindictive, I understand that a lot of muslims are behind these tourists attacks, but that doesn't mean that all muslims are terrorists. London has a large population of muslims, so it wouldn't have been strange for this poor woman to have been involved in the tragedy that struck London the 22.03.17. 

The fact that a photo has been plastered all over the internet and small minded people have picked it apart with such vial comments, when in reality she is just doing what anyone of us would have done. 

How could she have helped the victims on the ground? They already had a large group of people around them, when in my experience a hurt person in need of first aid does not need to be swarmed by more people. I would have understood people getting angry if she had of walked passed and there was no one helping the victim on the ground, but that wasn't the case. 

People need to just look past race and religion and just see the person. We need to go back to using Social Media for fun, and communicating with friends and family that live far away.

What are your views on this subject?  

Always be kind, you never know what personal battle people are fighting.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Romanovs Views | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig